Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Resolutions vs. Goals

I hate New Year's Resolutions. You start the year with these great ideas about how you are going to change for the better. Usually these resolutions have to do with organization and health. I have fallen victim to this in the past, but rarely have I done anything about my resolutions past the first couple weeks of the new year. So, I have resolved not to make any more resolutions. Instead, I'm making a list of goals that I would like to attempt this year. The difference between a goal and a resolution is that if you fail to make a resolution by the end of the year, you feel bad about yourself. If you don't make a goal, you adjust the goal or the time frame. There is less guilt involved. Here, now, is my list of goals for 2008:
  1. Lose 25 lbs by Mandy's Wedding
  2. Buy a car
  3. Move out of mom's condo
  4. Pay off one of my credit cards
  5. Readjust my retirement portfolio
I think that's a good list of goals. Granted, a lot of them deal with money, however, I think they deal with different areas of my financial health.

Hope everyone has a lovely new year and best of luck with those resolutions!

No comments: