Friday, March 20, 2009

A Relfection on Life

A few years ago, I was taking a class that required that I see at least two theatrical shows during the course of the semester. At that time, "A Streetcar Named Desire" was playing on Broadway and I thought "What a great opportunity to see a classic!" I'd read the play before and ha seen part of the movie, but never had I seen the stage show. So, I dragged Mandy along (not like she was too upset) and we went to see it.
Stanley was played by John C. Reilly and he was fabulous. Mostly, I'd only seen him in the funny role, or that of the loser. In this, though, he brought a vulnerability to Stanley that I hadn't seen before. However, the real star of the show was Natasha Richardson, who played the southern diva, Blanche. She played it with such emotion that you wanted to cry for her. How could this lovely woman have fallen so low? What would happen to her?
That's why, I think, her sudden death this past week bothered me so much. I enjoyed her in various movies, especially "The Parent Trap" remake, but the ability to bring out that much emotion and pity is truly amazing. She was a lovely woman, wife, and mother, and she will be missed.
Life is crazy - you never know when it will suddenly end. Don't leave things for later, because you never know if you will even have a later. Live life fully and completely, it's the only way.

@Layhnar

No comments: