Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day, at last

It's no secret that I have democratic leanings. I've voted Democrat in every presidential election since my first one in 1996. What may not be known is that I've been following this little known junior senator from Chicago since he made his first national speech at the Democratic Convention in 2004. I was captivated by this man who spoke eloquently and made me want to listen to what he had to say. Less than two years later, I eagerly watched that same man announce his candidacy for president in Springfield, Illinois. Over 20 months, I watched him change from a little known senator without a prayer to our president-elect.
And now, finally, he'll be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States. It's a great day for us all. For the African-American community, the last major wall has been torn down. There is finally someone that a black child can look up to besides rap stars and athletes, neither of which are usually good role models.
Even more, though, I see Obama as a uniting force. We've been divided for too long and it's hurt our country. I've heard people, sworn Republicans, say that while they may not agree with his politics, they are hopeful for the future. We need a leader like him today - one who can see all sides of a matter, one who listens to those around him, one who admits that he may not have all the answers but is willing to find them.
So, I'm jealous of the million plus people gathering in Washington DC to watch this momentous occasion, even if it is freezing. Good luck, President Obama. The nation is behind you.

No comments: